Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mamma's Baby - Part 2

Hi, all!

Continuing my account of Mamma's UK visit...

***

Mamma at the University

Apart from the psychological comfort of Mamma being here with me, I was most excited to show her glimpses of my life here. We arrived at the University in the afternoon. We first went to my room. I was happy to see that she was happy and comfortable in my living space. She loved the view too (who wouldn't!). We shared a nice pizza for lunch, relaxed some, and then stepped out to visit the campus. I pointed at or took her to all the places I could possibly think of... the accommodation offices, the laundry, the campus squares, the library, the Ivor Crewe hall, the lecture theatre building, the places where I eat or hang out on campus, my department, the labs... we even met one of my lecturers... and some of my classmates. Then, we walked to my current shopping mecca, Tesco, taking in the budding greenery on the way and the cool, fresh evening air. We bought some groceries for the weekend and also shared a cappuccino : ) In the space of a few hours, I had taken her through six months worth of my life here. For the first time since coming here, I realised how good I had it here, and it was all thanks to my parents!

Mamma at the University

Meet the Friends

That evening was special too. I took Mamma to meet my family away from family ... Aparna and Abhilasha. They bonded so well that it seemed like they'd known each other since ages... and that was the icing on the delicious cake that was this day.

Mamma with Aparna & Abhilasha

Shopping Spreeeee!!!!!!!!!!

The next day, Mamma and I joined Abhilasha, Aparna, and her friend Yukti to a shopping visit to the retail village, Freeport, at Braintree. The visit was lots of fun. I hadn't shopped for the sake of shopping in a long time and having Mamma there made the experience even more enjoyable. Abhilasha and Aparna also gifted her a beautiful white purse. We capped off the visit with a coffee/hot chocolate visit to Starbucks and returned home.

Fun day at Freeport, Braintree, with Yukti, Aparna and Abhilasha

Meet the Flatmates

On Sunday, Mamma had the opportunity to meet my dear flatmates Nadia and Buthaina, who made us parathas and coffee respectively. She was even more relieved to see that I was in excellent company all around.

Mamma with Buthaina & Nadia

***

Continued in Part 3

Part 3

No comments: